1. Log in to your Facebook account (if you don’t have one, it takes five seconds to sign up for a free account), then go to Facebook.com/pages/create.php.
2. On the “Create a Page” screen, select the category and subcategories your page will fit into. Peruse all the subcategories to determine the one that best describes your page.
3. Name your page; choose wisely because it’s permanent. Think about character length. Check “no” to avoid making the page visible to the public. Click “Do not publish” to give you time to set it up before it goes live.
4. If you’ve opted to create your page as a “separate entity” apart from your personal profile, sign up for Facebook by completing the information form.
5. Click “Submit,” and you now have a Facebook page for your church.
Tip: Once you create a page and garner some “fans,” get a username for your page: Facebook.com/Username. Usernames turn long URLS into memorable ones.
For an in-depth guide to creating and leveraging a Facebook page, go to ChurchCrunch.com.
This article appeared in the May/June 2011 issue of Outreach magazine. Each issue of Outreach features ideas, innovations and resources to help you reach your community and change the world. Check out our current subscription offer »